Aurora Civic Center Authority- Career Opportunity
The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on Stolp Island in the Fox River in the heart of the richly diverse community of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking a
Senior Director of Marketing & Communications. ACCA operates three performance venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 165-seat Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 300 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions and a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals for an annual audience of 350,000 patrons from over 250 communities. ACCA proudly operates the Paramount School of the Arts in the new John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora, and the company looks forward to producing a new, Bold Series of plays and musicals in the newly-renovated Copley Theatre beginning in the 2021-2022 season. Paramount Theatre also hosts free community events, $1 Classic Movie Mondays and its opulent interiors provide a spectacular backdrop for private functions such as wedding receptions or corporate galas. Across the street from Paramount Theatre are the gorgeous Meyer Ballrooms which play host to multiple wedding receptions and rental events throughout the year.
The Aurora Civic Center Authority is committed to being a defining catalyst for personal and community transformation by:
- making the performing arts accessible for every age and socioeconomic background,
- introducing the magic of live theater across generations to encourage expansive imaginations and broad views of people and the world,
- and contributing to the future stability and growth of Aurora’s downtown.
The highest purpose of any theater is to inspire its community toward a more perfect humanity. Such humanity can exist only when every member of the community is included and valued, empowered and heard. To express this truth, ACCA commits its leaders, volunteers, artists and staff to the active, continual and accountable pursuit of the following principles: equity, inclusion and diversity.
DEPARTMENT – Marketing & Communications
DIRECT REPORTING – President/CEO, & taking direction from VP of Sales & Programming
POSITIONS SUPERVISED – Marketing & Communications Team
WORKS CLOSELY WITH – VP Sales/Programming, Director of Audience Services, Special Events Director, Education Director, Development Team
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Full time exempt, approximately 40+ hours per week. Will include some evening and weekend hours.
COMPENSATION – Commensurate with experience; excellent benefits package including health, paid time off, and 401k
HIRE DATE – ASAP (target May/June 2021)
Looking for an energetic and thoughtful leader to head up a team of talented creatives to brilliantly mastermind all marketing and communication needs for our growing performing arts organization. Responsible for overseeing the planning, development and execution of the organization’s marketing and advertising initiatives. Reporting directly to the chief executive officer and taking direction from the VP of Programming & Sales, the Senior Director of Marketing & Communications’ primary responsibility is to generate revenue by increasing sales through successful marketing for each entertainment space, using marketing communications, research, advertising and public relations. The Senior Director of Marketing & Communications and their team are responsible for meeting all of the marketing & communications needs for the entire organization.
- Generate revenue by increasing sales through successful marketing for all ACCA divisions including: Paramount Theatre, Copley Theatre, Paramount School of the Arts, RiverEdge Park; Stolp Island Theatre; Development; Special Events/Meyer Ballroom. Lead a marketing/communications team to success; support and help develop team members as needed. Lead development and implementation of highly effective marketing, advertising, and sales initiatives through print, TV, radio, PR, web and social media. Drive ticket sales for all live events at Paramount Theatre, Copley Theatre, Stolp Island Theatre, and RiverEdge Park. Develop innovative strategies to retain current patrons, expand new audiences and reach underserved communities. Ensure consistent branding for all ACCA divisions including: Paramount Theatre, Copley Theatre, Paramount School of the Arts, RiverEdge Park; Stolp Island Theatre Development; Special Events/Meyer Ballroom. Coordinate many internal departments and initiatives to ensure that the organization is prioritizing marketing efforts that drive sales, awareness and giving. Work with the Education team to boost enrollment at Paramount School of the Arts; develop the brand as an industry leader; identify and reach untapped markets; increase awareness of the school’s programs and educational offerings. Work with Development department to help devise and execute donor communications and appeals to encourage new and increased gifts. Work with Special Events department to increase event bookings, develop needed sales materials, identify and reach new audiences. Oversee creation of branding and identity for new performance space, Stolp Island Theatre opening Summer 2022. Develop annual budgets, monitor budgets on an on-going basis and ensure all projects stay within approved budgets. Supervise hiring, training, workloads, schedules and deadlines for marketing department team; conduct annual reviews. Oversee the operation of websites and email marketing programs; work closely with outside vendor to provide analytics review; oversee social media marketing platforms. Develop and implement marketing plans, including promotional calendars and programs, introductions of new and other marketing projects. Act as the point person for partnerships like agency relationships, vendor relationships, freelance employees, press contacts, and more. Oversee the negotiations with media partners to guarantee advantageous contracts. Work to create stellar promotional photography and video. Participate in Opening Night events, welcoming members of the press and distributing needed materials. Create a vision for the organization’s marketing strategy, both short-term and long-term. Assist VP Sales/Programming and President/CEO with other projects as needed.
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Minimum of 5 years of experience developing and implementing comprehensive and successful marketing and sales campaigns, brand management, and advertising, preferably for a complex arts and cultural institution
- Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a team
- Solid understanding of brand development and management
- Exceptional written and interpersonal skills
- Project management experience with a proven ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Collaborative leadership skills with the ability to work well both independently and within a team
- Detail oriented, well organized, focused and goal oriented, with a high level of initiative and energy as well as problem solving skills
- Budget-management skills and proficiency
- Supportive of the mission of Aurora Civic Center Authority
- Proficient using Microsoft Suite and various marketing software; knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Proven dynamic leadership and project management skills
- Strategic, innovative and creative personality with a strong business acumen
- A passion for working in and managing a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Adept multi-tasker with ability to quickly prioritize and effectively delegate tasks
- Able to work cooperatively and effectively with different personality types as well as other departments, vendors and clients
- Can transition seamlessly among projects of varying scale, audience, format and distribution channel
- Recognize their own weaknesses and can work around these shortcomings through delegation, collaboration and excellent resource utilization
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume using the online job application at https://paramountaurora.com/opportunities/ or click on the link below.
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: (Patty Stefanski) 8 East Galena Blvd., Suite 230, Aurora, IL 60506
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.